Tony Karrer's eLearning Blog on e-Learning Trends eLearning 2.0 Personal Learning Informal Learning eLearning Design Authoring Tools Rapid e-Learning Tools Blended e-Learning e-Learning Tools Learning Management Systems (LMS) e-Learning ROI and Metrics

Monday, February 06, 2006

eLearning 2.0 - Is This Real

As part of pulling together two separate presentations on the future of eLearning, I've been doing a lot of research on the technology trends.

In the past talks, I've primarily discussed key business/learning trends:

  • Need for faster development
  • Need for shorter delivery time
  • Need for quick access in the context of work

and the resulting shift in eLearning towards

  • "rapid eLearning" such as recorded class sessions, quick-and-dirty courseware, etc.
  • performance support tools such as online reference, search, km, etc.

However, I'm seeing now considerable value in what is happening in the Web 2.0 and I believe much like Steven Downes - E-Learning 2.0 & Is E-Learning 2.0 For Real? - that there is a lot of value to be had, but I'm also concerned as to how much this is really happening.

Normally during my presentations, I talk about what people are really doing inside of corporations with eLearning. Certainly, I'm not seeing widespread adoption of Wikis, Blogs, Social Bookmarking, etc. within corporations as a means of sharing information and learning.

Am I just missing it? Is this just wishful thinking? Or are we just early on the adoption curve?

More soon.



Keywords: eLearning Trends, eLearning 2.0, Web 2.0

No comments: